One common mistake that companies make is focusing all of their attention on how their website looks rather than on how it functions. Usability is one of the primary driving factors behind your website’s success. The easier and more intuitive your site is to use, the more likely people are to stay on it long enough to learn about your company and the products or services that you have to offer.
It’s no surprise, then, that most of the Orlando web design recommendations and guidelines in this article revolve around usability. Of course, Aesthetics also come into play. However, the way your website looks should be secondary to the way it functions. Check out these tips from GGG Marketing Orlando
to start building a better website today:
1. Keep your website simple. The more complex the design of your site is, the harder it will be for people to find what they are looking for. Try to create a site that is extremely clean and simple. Avoid adding unnecessary graphics or design elements for clean lines and elegant design.
Regarding your color scheme, stick to a simple set of colors that are consistent throughout your site. A good rule of thumb is to use dark text on a light background since it is much easier to read than light text on a dark background. Additionally, make sure that your fonts are large enough that they display correctly on small screens as well as larger screens.
2. Use graphics judiciously to enhance your page. Every graphic that you have on your page should serve a purpose. It shouldn’t just be there to fill space. Too many graphics on a single page will cause it to load slowly, increasing the likelihood that your visitors will simply click away to a different site instead.
If you plan on embedding videos in your page, don’t set them to play automatically. Nothing drives visitors away faster than suddenly having a video playing when they didn’t take any action to make it happen.
3. Use responsive design. If you aren’t familiar with the term responsive design, it is essentially referring to the process of making sure that your site displays beautifully on any device or screen size. Your site should automatically adjust based on whether it is being viewed on a smartphone, a tablet, or a desktop or laptop computer. Everyone should be able to easily navigate through your content no matter what type of device they are using to view your site.
4. Use simple, intuitive navigation. The navigational structure of your site should be as clean and simple as possible. Avoid allowing your category structure to go too deep. Instead, try to limit it to about three levels. Any more than that can make it hard for people to find the information that they are looking for. Additionally, make sure that your site’s navigation bar or menu appears on every page in an obvious location.
5. Add a search box to every page of your site. Make it easy for people to find information by allowing them to search from any page on your website. This will help improve the chances of your visitors staying on your site.
Following these Orlando web design recommendations and guidelines will help you create a beautiful site that gets great results for your business. It is important to remember that your site isn’t only about visual appeal. Its primary purpose is to provide helpful information to your visitors. By focusing first on functionality and then on design, you can create a site that is both highly usable and attractive.